ISLAMOPHOBIA AND ISLAMIC TERRORISM
Dr. Ishanand Vempeny
(Published in Jeevadhara, Vol.XLVI, No.273, May 2016, pp.66-85)
II. THE FACT OF ISLAMIC TERRORISM
The daily news media come up with more and more gruesome terrorism by ISIS. Some time back there appeared on some of the news channels the video-shot of a boy, a little above KG class age. The boy was made to sit on the shoulders of a hand-leg bound prisoner. After giving a small sword the ISIS members were instigating the boy to cut off the head of the prisoner. Can any sect in any religion force children to commit such cruel and inhuman crimes? It was reported in a number of newspapers the case of a primary school age boy shooting his mother for advising him to run away from the ISIS camp. The treatment of the women of minority communities like the Yezidis, Christians and Shia of Iraq and Syria, had been brutal and inhuman. The African ISIS outfit called Boko Haram is no less brutal than their Asian counter-parts. They kidnapped some 600 Christian girls, forced them to study by heart the Quran, gang-raped them and then sold many of them in the market as sex-slaves. Recently they showed in of their DVD propaganda shows, some 200 of these girls kept waiting to be sold in the slave market.
Just recently appeared in the newspapers about the gruesome murder in Iraq of some 250 captured girls including some middle-aged women for refusing to become the sex-slaves of the ISIS. The Indian Express reports:
“The Islamic State, notorious for its brutality, has reportedly executed 250 girls in northern Iraq for refusing to become sex slaves… The girls had been ordered to accept temporary marriages to the terrorists and were murdered, sometimes alongside their families, for their refusal to be sex slaves in Iraq’s second largest city of Mosul. IS began selecting women of Mosul and forced them into marrying its militants, calling it temporary marriage since it has taken control over Mosul.”
About the horrible crimes perpetrated by the ISIS on the Yezidi people in Syria, in the first May issue of theTIME magazine there is the story of Nadia Murad who escaped from the camp of the ISIS after much torture. She has become a champion for the release of numerous girls imprisoned by ISIS for their sexual gratification. This is what the TIME reports:
“At 19 she lost her home, her country, her culture, her mother to murder; witnessed male members of her family murdered in mass killings; and was kidnapped, sold and endlessly raped by members of ISIS. She now travels the world speaking out on the genocide being inflicted on her Yezidi people and demanding release for the more than 3,000 women still held in bondage.”
The international press has been highlighting the brutal cruelty, with which the Boko Haram had been torturing with impunity, the non-Muslims of north-eastern Nigeria and of the surrounding countries. The Nigerian government with its enormous amount of petro-dollars is made spineless and foolish. Here we shall cite a few lines from the Indian Express:
“A new video from Nigeria’s home-grown Boko Haram extremists shows gunmen mowing down, and a leader saying they are being killed because they are ‘infidels’ or non-believers. There are so many corpses the gunmen have difficulty stepping to reach bodies still twitching with life. Most appear to be adult men. We have made sure the floor of his hall is turned red with blood, and this is how it is going to be in all future attacks and arrests of infidels, the group leader says in a message.”
The number of terrorist attacks by Islamic terrorists seems to be rising continuously. When I checked in the Google the list of such attacks runs into many hundreds. Here for a sample let us copy the list of Islamic terror, just of the month of January 2016, leaving aside the very long lists from 1980 to 2016. In the list of 2014 and 2015 there are hundreds of Islamic terrorist attacks in difference parts of the world. But it would be too long for our article. We shall be satisfied with the list of only of January 2016.
Year - 2016
· January 1, 2016 – A Taliban suicide bomber detonated himself in a French restaurant called 'Le Jardin' in Kabul. 2 dead 15 injured.
· January 2, 2016 – In the 2016 Pathankot attack suspected Jaish-e-Mohammed militants attacked an Indian air base killing 7 security force members. Several injured.
· January 3, 2016 – Five Islamist suicide bombers attack an Iraqi military base. 15 dead and 22 injured.
· January 4, 2016 – A Militant drove a truck packed with explosives to the armored gates of a compound for civilian contractors near Kabul's airport before detonating. 30 people injured, including children.
· January 7, 2016 – In the Zliten truck bombing Islamist militants detonated a truck bomb at the police training camp al-Jahfal in the coastal town of Zliten, Libya. 50+ dead 100+ wounded.
· January 7, 2016 – In the January 2016 Paris police station attack an Islamist from Morocco wearing a fake explosive belt attacked police officers with a meat cleaver. He was shot dead.
· January 7, 2016 – A car bombing at a checkpoint in the Libyan oil port of Ras Lanuf left seven people dead and 11 wounded.
· January 8, 2016 – In the 2016 Hurghada attack two militants armed with a melee weapon and a signal flare stormed the Bella Vista Hotel. 3 injured.
· January 11, 2016 – A 15-year old Turkish ISIL supporter attacked a teacher from a Jewish school in Marseille with a machete. 1 injured.
· January 11, 2016 – ISIL gunmen detonate suicide vests in a shopping mall, killing at least 20 and wounding more than 40 people.
· January 12, 2016 – In the 2016 Istanbul bombing an ISIL suicide bomber kills 10 tourists and injures 15 more in the historical centre of Istanbul.
· January 14, 2016 – In the 2016 Jakarta attacks 4 assailants kill 2 and injure 24 in a terrorist attack in Jakarta. The attack was orchestrated and financed from ISIL in Syria.
· January 15, 2016 – In the El Adde attack, Al-Shabaab terrorists attack an African Union Kenyan army base in El-Adde. 63+ killed, several injured.
· January 15, 2016 – In the 2016 Ouagadougou attack Islamist gunmen armed with heavy weapons attacked the Cappuccino restaurant and the Splendid Hotel in the heart of Ouagadougou, the capital of Burkina Faso. 20+ killed. 15+ injured.
· January 21, 2016 – At least 22 killed in attack on Bacha Khan University, Pakistan. The Taliban claim responsibility for the attack.
· January 22, 2016 – Al-Shabab attack on beachside restaurant leaves 20 dead.
· January 25, 2016 – Suspected Boko Haram insurgents have blown themselves up in a market in Cameroon, killing at least 25 people and injuring 62 others.
· January 30, 2016 – Boko Haram gunmen raided a Nigerian village, at least 65 people were killed and 136 others injured.
If we look at the list from the year of 2000 onwards, we will realize that these Islamic terrorist attacks were not only on non-Muslims but also on Islamic ones, not only in a localized way but in all the continents. The Islamic terrorist attacks are qualitatively and quantitatively different from the attacks originating from other religions. Let us take the example of the terrorism of Ku Klux Klan, a terrorist group originating from American Christianity. This terrorism is very much localized and the American Christians do not take them seriously. Besides, their lethal activities are controlled by the government and the people. The IRA, originated in Ireland, opposing the British Colonialism, remained confined to the British Islands. This terrorism was stopped once for all through the Good Friday agreement initiated by the then American President Bill Clinton. These and similar terrorist groups in other religions are very much localized and open to negotiations.
 Indian Express, “IS executes 250 women for refusing to become sex slaves, says report”, April 22, 2016, p.12
 TIME, Eve Ensler, “Nadia Murad A witness for war’s victims”, May 2-9, 2016, p.24
 Indian Express, Haruna Umar, “Boko Haram releases horrific video of slaughter of captives”, December 22, 2014, p.9