Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Why do i want to become a Jesuit?- Yowan s.j



WHY DO I WANT TO BECOME A JESUIT?


“I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you” (Jer31: 3)


Once my novice master asked me “Why do you want to become a Jesuit?” I told him, “because I love Jesus” All human beings are created, to praise, thank and serve God, our Lord.” The source of all living things is God. I, too, believe that the source of my noble vocation has come from God. Finally, my living source is God. He is the root cause of my existence in this vast world.I may be a feeble being; yet God chose me for a decisive purpose. I have received a special call from him. It was God who strengthens me in my life. As a small seed grows into a plant, my Jesuit vocation begins to grow within me. As time passed by, I have realized that we, the incorrigible Jesuits, are placed with his son, Jesus. It was a great joy for me to be a Jesuit. I, too, am called to be an intimate companion of Jesus. “The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes.”I am a free being to serve God.


The vow of Poverty makes me follow Christ more closely. To live in poverty was a special choice of Jesus. Jesus’ decisive option was for the poor. I am called to be a tangible sacrament of God’s presence.


The universal vow of Chastity makes me surrender to Jesus. Sexual energy is power. So I channelize this positive energy for ministry. Therefore, the vow of Chastity is an apostolic one. The vow of obedience makes me do the will of God as expressed to me by the one who has authority to send us on a mission in the name of Jesus Christ. When I live my perpetual vows in this world, I am another Christ. All these simple vows help me to serve in the universal mission.“Fall in love, stay in love andIt will decide everything.”A deep love for Jesus makes me follow Him closely. If there is deep love, it will decide everything. Now-a-days, there is a love practice called, “Love-making.” In the name of love, there are umpteen frauds. People are easily cheated. There is no place for mutual communication between persons. In this vicious world, I am called to spread for Jesus’ love to all peoples. A pure love for Jesus makes this mission possible in this global world.


I live in this great universe. Everywhere, we can see untold suffering. Our loving God does not cause this cruel suffering. We cause it. On the one hand, the world is full of wealth. On the other hand, there is cruel poverty and unbearable misery. It is logical that because we are selfish, we suffer. People do not want to share their goods with other people. We, the Jesuits, need to show solidarity with the poor.The world moves fast. I, too, move with the world. There is a lot of new technology that is available outside. People have no time to show their affection to others. It is a sad story in this world. Time is distinctly limited. Therefore, to praise, thank and love is very difficult. I too, know that I need to be a contemplative person even in action.


The tangible church is the body of Christ. As the beloved mother carries the baby in her womb, so too the Holy Spirit carries the church in all its difficulties. The body is connected to different parts. Likewise, people are connected with this body of Christ. Therefore, the apostolic body, the Church, is very important for me. Ultimately, the ministry is an inseparable part of my mission. I need to be tough in the ministry: physically, spiritually and mentally. “It is better to believe than to disbelieve; In so doing you bring everything to the realm of possibility.” In this marvelous universe, man is the king of all creation. There are many wonderful inventions that are in the process of unfolding. Some of them have already been discovered. In a few days, men may stay on the wonderful moon. It is really possible for him. I too, am called to reach out to as many people as possible. “A rose can live amongst the thorns and yet never be injured by them”.


There are persons who undergo suffering so that all others may be happy. They are the ones who sacrifice their sleep and comfort so that others may enjoy life. They are ready to sacrifice anything and everything for the well being of others. They are like candles that burn themselves in order to give light to others. They do not want name, fame or recognition. What they desire is that all people should be free, happy and move towards ever-greater enrichment. I too want to be like one of those persons.


Though I belong to a particular province, yet I am for all the peoples. My service is lent to all peoples. Just as Jesus came for everybody so am I come for all the peoples of the world? Men are always sent on a mission. The compelling availability is largely useful for a larger mission. “Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go”.


Magis is the quality, which makes the mission possible. Men go beyond the unreachable boundaries. It is true because the generous soul is waiting to fulfill his mission. Likewise, I too am called for Magis. When I am obsessed with generosity, I go beyond the unfathomable boundaries. It is because, “It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me.”(Gal 2:20) “Love is not only something you feel, it is something you do.”


Everyone in this world is like a hidden treasure. The treasure is not immediately visible to us. But if we trust ourselves and continue to labor, then we will surely be able to bring out our hidden treasure. There is always a rainbow of God’s promise to us. In moments of darkness and discouragement, look at the rainbow and keep moving ahead. I too, should not get discouraged on my way. I need to trust God in my life. Because my life is dependent on himThough my life has a short ending, yet I live my life for a great cause. The number of days I live on this earth does not matter, how I live on this earth is what matters. I think quality is better than quantity. Basically, my life returns to God.


The lifelong Journey that began with A.M.M.G (all for my greater glory) now turns out to be A.M.D.G. (all for his greater glory) At the end, I become another Christ.


Yours in Christ,


Yowan, s.j.

No comments:

Post a Comment