Monday, May 24, 2010

Social Analysis Programme - Bangalore

Scho.John Paul, Scho.Jestin and Scho.Jayanti participated in the socio-cultural analysis programme.


Scholastics learn to analyze the Socio-Cultural Reality

Lighting a lampThe Socio-Cultural Analysis programme held at ISI, Bangalore from 21st April to 5th May was a memorable one for all 30 Jesuit Scholastics and 3 others who participated in it. Though the participants had different ideas about the various issues and problems of the present day society, this course gave a new orientation to look at the social issues from the eyes of the poor.
The whole programme was arranged in such a way that it gives a wide and broad idea of the functioning of various elements of the society. The programme covered almost all the fields, ranging from the socio-economic-political-cultural and religious system to communalism, Special Economic Zones and Media. It has given a deeper and detailed understanding of the major issued like the caste system, the economic deprivation due to globalization and privatization and the modus operandi of the Sangh Parivar and other fundamental organizations. The course also gave an opportunity to look the alternatives available and threw light on how to counteract the communal forces. This course gave the tool to analyze the various problems and situations in the society and not to refuse or reject any situation blindly or to simply believe in what the popular media presents. One of the participants said, “My view or attitude of looking at various aspects of the society is definitely different from the one I had before I started this course. Today, as I read the newspaper or watch news channel, I am able to get into the analysis part of it.”

ParticipantsIn all there were 16 resource persons from outside besides the ISI staff. We had some fiery speakers who made us aware of the ground realities and instilled a new zeal in all of us. The programme presented various facts and figures of our country which we were unaware of. We had only heard of the caste issue and the struggles of our tribal brothers, but this was truly an eye opener to almost all of us.
Personally I feel that it has made a difference in my own life. I have realized that sometimes I too play a role of an oppressor; sometimes I too deny my brethren their basic rights. Today I know that I cannot call a person dirty if the society in which we live has denied that person his right to minimum quantity of drinkable water. What right do I have to call somebody uncivilized if I as a member of the society have not given them enough opportunities to grow?
Most of all this programme has helped me to affirm my vocation to be human.
- Sch. Ambrose Machado (BOM)

No comments:

Post a Comment